I wanted to share this Puffed Wheat Squares recipe with you because it was a childhood favourite of mine! My Mom used to make it for my brother and I fairly often. While it’s next exactly a “healthy” treat, it is a delicious one!
They are similar to Rice Krispy squares in their preparation, but the gooey coating that holds them all together is chocolate flavoured, and the cereal is puffed wheat rather than rice crisps.
I’ve also been doing a bit of reading about Puffed Wheat Squares, and it appears as though they are quite well known in Canada, but are relatively unknown in other parts of the world. Huh!
Anyways, I hope you enjoy these Puffed Wheat Squares as much as I do!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup syrup maple syrup, corn syrup, I used brown rice syrup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 8 cups puffed wheat
- Put 8 cups of puffed wheat into a 9x13 greased pan. Set aside.
- Place butter, syrup, brown sugar and cocoa in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until bubbling.
- Let bubble for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Immediately pour over the puffed wheat. Stir well until all is coated well.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, slice into serving sized pieces.